I had plans to share tips on taking self portraits today (you know, the only way to get in the pic if you're a mom). But alas, the stomach flu has put a damper on my week and I'm in no shape to be sitting in front of a camera. And more issues with escrow on our condo have me feeling pretty low. So in an attempt to cheer myself up, let's talk about more plans for the new house! Take a look at Caden's big kid room inspiration:
Spaces that inspire me:
- Olive Tint by Benjamin Moore: I've picked a lot of cool shades for Caden's decor so I want to warm up his walls with this beige-y grey.
- Ocean Depth Map fabric by Ravynka: Available at, you guessed it, Spoonflower! My plan is to hack the Ikea bedframe (image 11) and upholster the head board portion with this fabric. It will be the most bold print in the room but I think the simple bedding will help tame it.
- Chalkboard closet doors: Caden's room will be small and two twin beds will make it even smaller. So I'll be painting his closet doors with chalkboard paint to increase the fun factor and offer him some vertical play space.
- Octopus artwork: Tying in with the ocean depth fabric, we'll be framing some sea inspired artwork for his walls. He's really into animals and since we live right by the beach, the whole theme just seemed to fit :)
- Ofelia Vass bedding from Ikea: You can't tell from this photo, but the bedding has subtle ridges sewn into it. It's versatile so I know it can last us years. And at $29 for a duvet cover and sham, it's pretty unbeatable!
- Factory Side Table from Urban Outfitters: Another great buy! $39 and this vintage style table will act as a nightstand between the dual twin beds. It comes it multiple finishes but I really like this old, rusted look.
- Globe: Caden is recently obsessed with globes. He likes to spin them around and tell people where they're from (it's a very technical art form...). Based on past trips to the Long Beach Antique Market, I'm sure I'll be able to find some great old globes at a bargain price.
- Vintage wire basket: Another item that I'm sure I'll be able to find at the Antique Market. I plan to put a similar basket on the bottom shelf of the nightstand to act as a mini-bookcase.
- Herringbone Rug by Urban Outfitters: I mentioned the other day that UO has the best deals on rugs. This is another 5x7 option at only $89. Nick is obsessed with this color but I'm still on the fence. In the event that I chicken out, I may look into some Flor module carpet tiles.
- More under the sea artwork: Etsy is a great place to find cool prints at really good prices!
- Fjellse bed from Ikea: Let me start by saying that this is NOT my favorite bed. What I do like is its potential and its price. $39 for the bed frame, $30 for the slatted bed base, and the ability to use just a mattress without a box spring. I plan to paint the entire bed frame matte black, then cover the headboard portion (as described in in point #2). I played around with the idea of bunkbeds but it just wouldn't fit our budget or our needs (the 2nd bed will be for guests and I'd hate to ask grandma to hike up to the top bunk when she stays over).
- Patterned sheets: I love these Thomas O'Brien patterned sheets for Target, but they don't come in a twin size. I'll keep perusing the usually sites and stores for something similar or I might just go with a nice navy color.
So fingers crossed that we can close escrow on our condo and, in turn, close escrow on our home. We can use all the positive vibes available!